[Tails-dev] stats on upgrade time

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] stats on upgrade time
Subject: [Tails-dev] stats on upgrade time
Hi,

The other day I did some statistics on the HTTP requests made on UDFs
(upgrade description files) such as [1]. This give us an idea of which
versions of Tails are running at a given point in time. Here are some
initial results in attachment.

My first interpretation of this is that people are upgrading quite fast
(faster than what I expected). For example:

- 1.5 was released on 20150811
- 1 day later, 38% of boots were from 1.5
- 1 week later, 63%
- 2 weeks later, 71%

So it seems like a good share of our user base are regular or daily users.

But there's always a pretty long tail of people with quite outdated
versions. If we look, on the day before each release, at the number of
people that are still not running the latest version:

- Before 1.5: 19%
- Before 1.6: 24% (we had a shorter cycle due to 1.5.1 here)
- Before 1.7: 20%

I'd like to continue working on this to:

1. Have a nice script that I can share with more people.
2. Make is easier to take decision when doing migrations (like Icedove).
3. See if it's worth shipping IUK for more than one version to the next.
4. In the future, see how our improvements improve this situation
(installation assistant, full-self upgrades, etc.).

Tell me if you have any other idea of how to make these numbers speak or
what this would be useful for.

[1] https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/v1/Tails/1.7/i386/stable/upgrades.yml