Re: [Tails-ux] Fwd: [OpenITP Dev] Digital security tools: Ap…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Fwd: [OpenITP Dev] Digital security tools: Apply to receive a free usability audit
> Digital security tools can now apply to receive a free usability audit
> from the Open Tech Fund’s Usability Lab. Audits will analyze and
> identify any pitfalls that make it difficult for an average user to
> successfully use a tool. This is a great opportunity for FLOSS tools
> that may not have the in-house resources, knowledge or infrastructure to
> effectively improve the usability of their tool.
>
> *** Apply to the Usability Audit:
> https://www.opentech.fund/lab/usability-lab ***

Yeah, I've seen that too. Thanks for forwarding it here!

As with the SI 622 thread [1], I'm wondering here both:

1. How this could apply meaningfully to Tails. As we're a full OS it
might make more sense to focus on part of it than on the whole thing
(which is made by a bunch of bricks that we're not writing ourselves).
But from the top of my mind, I don't see to which subproject of Tails
this could apply the best right now.

2. Whether it's the right time. As we are already workings and
struggling to find resources to work on the outcomes of past UX audits
or projects (done together with NUMA or internally). So I'm not sure
it's the right time to gather more "super great ideas" to fix things in
Tails.

Maybe this could be useful to review paper prototypes of a future
process to connect to the network in Tails [2]. But it's too early now
to have anything meaningful to present them.

Any other idea?

[1]: https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-November/000755.html
[2]: https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/network_connection/