[Tails-dev] [Tails - Feature #5991] Include BitTorrent softw…

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Spencer
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: tails-dev
Aihe: [Tails-dev] [Tails - Feature #5991] Include BitTorrent software
Hi,

> str4d:
> If I2P is enabled

The Design section at https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/I2P/
points out some I2P issues. A new question is, are these concerns
relevant to the Tor Network as well?

If so, then maybe there can be a "Torrent over I2P :)" consensus based
on the Tor Project's preference to not support torrenting.

> adding the i2p flag to the boot parameters

The Tails documentation on this is not clear to me.

Also, the links https://tails.boum.org/geti2p.net and
http://127.0.0.1:7657/i2psnark do not load :(

> [native application] only usable with I2P

Easy, and I think maybe a good way to go. Something less usefully
bloated than Vuze might be more suitable...the I2P documentation has
some good alternatives.

> Perhaps something to this effect could be added to the documentation?

sajolida, what do you think?

> Side note: I2P supports UDP traffic, but only really for apps that are
> built with I2P support (either native Java, or via the SAM API). Both
> I2PSnark and Vuze have DHT support, and IIRC there is a proposal for
> implementing uTP. We do also have a SOCKS tunnel that we haven't
> finished adding UDP support to, because of a lack of dev
> time/funds/incentive...
>
> I2P torrent clients (and apps in general) use a single Destination, so
> usually only have two or three tunnels built at any one time. This can
> be manually increased up to a maximum of 16, although six is usually
> sufficient to see a decent speed increase.

Good to know :)

> Tails defaults to hidden mode; then again, the number of people using
> Tails
> for I2P torrenting would probably be low, compared to the number of
> Vuze nodes (which currently are estimated to make up about 30-40% of
> the I2P network).

If people see Tails and I2P as a gateway to torrenting their long-lost
Where's Wally VHS, that could change.

Wordlife,
Spencer