Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?
Hi,

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 02:50:44 -0700
Spencer <spencerone@???> wrote:

Add privacy settings
--------------------

> > Alan:
> > Do you have a proposal?
> >
> > I'm waiting for your feedback.
> >

> Here[0] is how your thought fleshed out.

This is more clear, but was not what I was thinking of. I thought:

                               Close/Cancel button

|      Add custom privacy settings    |X| |

+ +-------------------------------------+ |
| | Administrative account              | |

+ +-------------------------------------+ |
| | MAC Spoofing                        | |

+ +-------------------------------------+ |
| | Network configuration               | |

+ +-------------------------------------+ |
| | Desktop camouflage                  | |

+ +-------------------------------------+ |

On click:

Back button                     Close/Cancel button
   |                                   |
   v                                   v

| |<|  Add custom privacy settings   |X|  |

+ +-------------------------------------+ |
| | MAC Spoofing                        | |

+ |                                     | |

| | Spoofing  MAC  addresses  hides the | |
| | serial number of your network cards | |
| | from local networks.                | |
| |                            _______  | |
| | MAC Address Spoofing:     |_on|___| | |
| |                                     | |

+ +-------------------------------------+ |

> Other OS '+/-' dialogs showcase the setting type settings at the
> destination, as opposed to the origin. However, given the amount of
> content on the destination dialog, there isn't enough room. The origin
> dialog seems to be the most suitable place for these settings.

I'm not sure about your dialog that combines the "select setting" and
the "configure setting" function, thus my proposal above.

> The size is significantly larger, so, popover dialogs with arrows won't
> be as clear as popover dialogs without arrows, i.e., hover isn't as
> clear as click (and it doesn't allow for removal of settings from Check
> & Go screen). Besides, all dialogs that look the same function the
> same, or at least should, and the function on 'Universal Access' is
> enjoyable and clear.

OK, let's go for that at least to add a new setting. To edit an already
added setting, I still think the popover might be better.

> Administrative Account
> -----------------------
> This setting has a second state when an administrative account has been
> configured.
>
> I am unsure of any security issues with displaying the password, or
> providing an option to, so I did not include it; are there any?
>
> 'Log Out' might not be the best task, or label, but it seems reasonable.

No it doesn't make sense at all. Perhaps "Remove" or "Disable".

> MAC Spoofing
> -------------
> Are there any more options that can, or need to be, shown here?

I don't think so.

> Is there any issue with showing the real and spoofed MAC addresses?

What is the interest? One can't show the spoofed address before it is
spoofed, and the spoof will happen *after* the greeter.

> Network Configuration
> ----------------------
> Can, and should, we add more detailed configuration here?
>
> The second option (the OR) is closest to what we have now but I am
> unclear as to the function of the "Configure bridge, firewall, or proxy
> settings" option. The selecting of it prompts the network configuration
> flow after the Greeter but the first screen of the flow displays the
> same question posed here at the Greeter, so I feel it isn't needed,
> especially since there is no explanation of what to expect next.

We really need the 3 options, including "Connect directly to the Tor
network", as we want to have a way to connect directly without being
bored by questions. There is a problem, that we are in the process of
solving by improving the interface that will come *after* the greeter.

> Desktop Camouflage
> -------------------
> We can easily stack more camouflages (themes) in the list here. Getting
> the themes isn't so easy it seems. It is important to try and
> future-proof the experience.

OK

> Batch Add Settings
> I am not in favor of discoverable things when it comes to operation, in
> this case, running Tails. However, it seems reasonable to expect people
> to be familiar with the experience of selecting multiple items in a list
> at the same time. Using this to our benefit, we can avoid using check
> boxes :)

We can add a select mode, as in e.g. Gnome Documents.

Cheers