[Tails-dev] Help needed with screenshots of Mac boot menu wi…

Author: Spencer
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Help needed with screenshots of Mac boot menu with Tails
Hi,

intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [shall we go on cross-posting forever, or?]

I will keep this in dev since you seem to like reading this kind of
stuff :)

> Do you need tests on another Mac?

All should perform the same based on their Boot ROM Version; here[0] is
a list. An OSXpert, or someone with access every Boot ROM Version,
would need to fully confirm the subtle differences in each.

[0]: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201518

---

> sajolida:
> Do you confirm that the DVD appears with a hard disk icon on

I cannot. The disk icon image is what shows :(

Here [1] :)

> Does it make any difference if the USB Stick is installed
> using the command line?

Nope. Tail 1.6 prompts the same screen and icon set on startup from USB
Sticks that have Tails cloned via both the Tails Installer and Bash.

Direct USB Stick install might differ, but maybe not since I think the
startup icons are driven by the firmware on whatever device is in
question.

> Well, now I'm wondering ...

No worries. Although Cheetah, Panther, Leopard, and Lion introduce
major graphic updates, it seems that there are only two major startup
screens Mac users will be presented with today:

     - One for Yosemite & El Capitan.
     - One for Lion to Mavericks.

The differences here are icons and background colors; minor enough that
it isn't confusing (unless they have the bug that shows a ghost volume,
but an update would resolve that).

We could do a user driven image swap on the Mac instructions for higher
accuracy.

Wordlife,
Spencer