[Tails-dev] Tails fails to run inside Qubes OS

Author: Patrick Schleizer
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails fails to run inside Qubes OS
Hi!

For some reason I cannot answer to any Tails redmine tickets. So here is
my test report of Tails inside Qubes OS.

I've downloaded Tails 1.6. Stored in my iso-download (debian-8 based)
AppVM. Then followed the https://www.qubes-os.org/en/doc/hvm-create/
instructions.

Initially Tails boots. You can see the Tails boot menu. Whatever you
choose, the default option or failsafe, same result. Where it hangs is a
black screen only showing `_`.

There is a partial workaround.

Booted with smaller resolution, `vga=788`. But that workaround still
leaves one with an unusable Tails. It boots up until the graphical
target just fine. The problem is, that the bottom side of the window
reaches below dom0's taskbar. So for example the "ok" button in Tails
launcher outside the visible monitor area.

Related tickets:

Tails: Try running Tails inside of Qubes OS
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8607

Qubes: Tails does not boot in Qubes HVM:

Patrick