[Tails-ux] Brainstorming session on the connection process

Autore: Spencer
To: tails-ux, tails-dev
Oggetto: [Tails-ux] Brainstorming session on the connection process
Hi,

> Lunar:
> a couple pain points getting connected to the Tor network:
>
> * hard to notice to click on icon to select Wi-Fi network.

A resolution is needed.

> * It's the first time I'm coming to this café...
> * It's the first time I'm coming to this office...

User profiles are in active(ish) development, so we can address this
there.

> * no clue to start the Unsafe Browser to get through captive portal.

Some instruction is needed.

> * Tor can take while to notice that captive portal connects.

Some feedback is needed.

> Tor meeting brainstorm summary.
>
> probably in the greeter

'Network' would fit nicely with 'Language', 'Storage', and 'Privacy', as
it is common to include network configuration in an install/boot/startup
flow. However, in our case, it might also be appropriate to have
network configuration be some heads-up option in the desktop
environment, as many people choose not to use networking, especially at
boot, since they might want to ensure firewalls or monitors are properly
working.

>  1. Automatic configuration. (I don't fear to be identified as a Tails
>     user.)
>  2. Manual configuration. (I don't want to attract any attention and
>     I know how to configure the network and Tor.)
>  3. Offline only.

These are cool and could fit nicely in the Guided Configuration dialogs,
should 'Networks' appear in the Greeter. Otherwise, we can figure
something out.

> Attached (are) post-its

Yay! The first one has a quote that is the topic of two discussions on
various lists, detectability; though I don't know enough to yet
determine if they can go anywhere.

> Spencer, interested in helping to make some wireframes?

Sure. The block of instructions, starting with “Step 1/n”, would first
need to be organized and refined, then some wires built on that and the
flow you have included.

I would like to hear from others as to the scope and feasibility of
this, as it could impact what we have been trying to wrap up for
testing, or not, depending on thoughts.

Wordlife,
Spencer