Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
New-Topics: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups/testing
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Alan:
> sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>> Alan:
>>>
>>> You mean that you think that there were an agreement not do display
>>> "advanced" of "privacy" settings by default?
>>
>> In the thread we had in March, yes, I think that there was a clear
>> agreement on hiding the advanced settings by default.
>
> OK. It wasn't clear to me. See my other email for a proposal.

>>> Unfortunately, all the people that are into design that I interact with
>>> seem to question everything all the time, which leads to nice
>>> proposals, but take shit loads of time and energy. Cultural difference
>>> I think.
>>
>> The solution is to not go into endless discussion loops like we're doing
>> but actually test more with users and earlier. All the designs that were
>> proposed already (the one we did together, the one by tchou, and the one
>> you did with spencerone) should have been tested on paper with 5-10
>> people and we would have tons of very useful feedback from this, less
>> discussion loops, and stronger decisions. But I agree that I was not
>> putting energy into this myself neither so I'm not blaming anybody.
>
> I will refine the design we proposed with spencerone according to your
> feedback so that it is ready to test.

Super cool! I won't interfere with your process and let you polish it to
your taste.

>>> I will implement something only if at least the people into the
>>> discussion think that it's worth it. Currently I feel like I took a lot
>>> of energy to work openly with spencerone to arrive to the best proposal
>>> and it basically failed. So if you want to take over, be welcome, but
>>> don't expect me to put as much energy as I did within the last months
>>> with it.
>>
>> Honestly, if you're ok to wait some more months before jumping to the
>> code, or if you tell me that coding a first software mockup will take
>> you not much more than one day of work, then I think we should test your
>> design as soon as possible and with as little implementation work behind
>> as possible.
>
> I think this is possible.

Ok, so do you think we can do user testing on software mockups, then?
Without doing a full implementation nor getting into the more
time-consuming details? That would be awesome!

>> I would be very interested in attending these sessions and
>> could probably do so in November around the dates proposed by intrigeri
>> for the second Jessie sprint. But otherwise you can maybe get anyone
>> else from tails-dev or tails-ux to help you out and do it earlier.
>
> I won't organize this testing session myself.

I'll propose you something this fall. We have to meet to work on our
common roadmap for 2016 anyway.

>> If you are not ready to wait for user testing before coding the whole
>> thing, that's fine with me and I'll be exciting to have something
>> implemented but we might end up having bad surprises later on down the
>> road and waste some of your coding time.
>
> I think we lost too much time already - I prefer to wait.

Nice :)