[Tails-ux] Greeter design proposal rationale

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter design proposal rationale
Hey,

>> Spencer:
>> Should there be an 'Enable' button?
>>

> Alan:
> Not at all.

Okay.

> Thanks!

You are welcome :)

>> The only issue I have is with the Storage section. I thought there
>> was
>> a security issue with visually acknowledging the presence of storage
>> and
>> that we were always filling storage as a protection.
>>

> This is not the case yet, but may become the case in the future. Sorry
> if I made you think that we should design for this case right now.
>
> I think that we should reconsider the UI if the change is made in the
> future, but we should not base our design on something that is not
> planned yet.

No worries. If we do take that security measure then all we are doing
is removing one of the two states as a default: the form field. Both
states will still exist, then, but for every case. So no need to
redesign in the future when we can do it (and already have) now; it is
important to scope the entire project even if we are working in phases
to preserve resources.

>> If there is still conflicting objection within the one vs two dialog
>> Greeter, I can throw this and the two-pager (with relevant updates
>> seen
>> here) into a clickable .pdf; let me know.
>>

> I don't understand your question. I'd like that we agree on one design,
> and test this one.

I don't think I do either; nevermind. What do you think about this[0]?
The only question I have here is should we de-emphasize the 'Start
Tails' button in the Guided Configuration flow (as shown in the attached
image)?

> I attempt to make it, and would love refinements.
>
> Additional note: on the SVGs you provided me, the text was not
> editable, so I had to add new texts everywhere (with the wrong font).
> Would you please see if you have an option to produce SVGs with real
> text, and share your font?

I do. Would you like me to resend anything specific (like everything)
or just keep it live from here on out?

Source is the typeface for the presentation text.
Cantarell is the typeface for the dialog text.

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]: Greeter.States.png