[Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Hay,

>>> Testing can be done using a clickable .pdf and achieve both the swift
>>> deployment of paper testing and the effective functionality and
>>> scaling
>>> of a programmed prototype. I can do this if needed, or work with
>>> whomever is interested (has time).
>>>

> I would be interested in knowing which tools would you use to create
> such clickable PDF? Do you have anything special in mind.

In the past I have used Apple Keynote, though there are other ways to
get the clickable .pdf, I have not yet come across any. Setting the
display of the .pdf to fullscreen provides a near-perfect simulation of
the actual experience, plus you can capture data from the device or VOIP
session, too.

> I'm also still
> interested in knowing which tools you use to draw your mockups.

Adobe Illustrator. Now, I would prefer to use something else, like
Inkscape, but the UI and tools aren't yet up to par for intensive
labor/accuracy. Though it really depends on context; I use Illustrator
when the pixel-perfect raster settings are needed; I use the drawing
setting in various 3D modeling softwarez when measurement-perfect vector
settings are needed. FreeCAD is a great open-source alternative to
Solidworks or Rhino, though Rhino is a proprietary packaging of an
open-source set of 3D surfacing tools.

>> intrigeri:
>> So, next step is that those who have more time available to put into
>> the Greeter thing team up and finish prototypes (be it on paper or
>> actual code) that can be tested with users, right?
>>

> Yes. I think Alan and Spencer should refine theirs. If we get
> together in November I'll get back and polish the one we started with
> views that we started with Alan.

Our latest (all of ours) is at this point[0], so, if you have some sweet
ideas about the composition of the previous iteration, word, but know
that your reservations prompted further refinement and there are two
views, one for each end of the use case spectrum.

You could help refine this, which would sooner give us a clickable .pdf
we can test all over the world next week (or whenever).

> I'm also more and more tempted to really explore the possibilities of
> online prototyping tools, like InVision and tons of others. I know that
> tchou have been using some and it would be cool to finish a
> benchmarking
> with our specific needs in mind.

To unfairly pick on InVision:

- It has a "Sign Up" button, so I couldn't get much further :(

- It seems, based on "All plans include 128 bit SSL encryption and daily
backups", like we would be uploading work to other people's computers,
same with our community data :(

- It is free for one project :)

- They waive their hands of any responsibility for their
actions/negligence in their ToS :(

- Closed-source :(

- They have a pink LinkedIn mobile icon as their logo :)

- They employ Google services :(

We could use third-party online tools, but only if they are truly
needed. They offered prototyping tools, VOIP, messaging, and version
control, all of which we already have. The one other thing they offer
is team/task management, which Redmine kind of does, but might be
overkill for our current situation.

I feel like we could DIY this. I would be happy to do so, or at least
work out the pros and cons and map the path to be taken so we can see if
it is worth the effort, since it aligns with our UX and testing needs
(and with the sentiments of our hosting preferences).

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]:
https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/attachments/20150828/2b2c6b68/attachment-0005.png