Re: [Tails-l10n] [de] non- discriminatory language

Author: Max@XGME
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] [de] non- discriminatory language
Hi,

just the background for german (not how it's done in tails but how most
institutions do it).
A few years ago everybody changed from using only the male form when
referring to people of both genders (1 "Mitarbeiter") to using both words -
which makes the sentence much longer - or using a mixed word (2
"Mitarbeiter und Mitarbeiterinnen" or 3 "Mitarbeiter/innen") which was used
by mostly everybody until they "discovered" gender-neutral forms which
don't take up that much space and also include all that crazy made up stuff
of people who identify as whatever they can think of, theoretical it would
also include animals (4 "Mitarbeitende"). So the current situation is that
most Companies and some public institutions use the long form (3 for
titles, 2 in long texts) while some public institutions (and maybe
companies, I don't know) have changed to using the last mentioned form (4).
I don't really know which of those would be better, so I'll just throw this
in here to inform those translators, that maybe don't live in germany
(anymore) and let you decide what to use.
Also I don't have any official sources for this, it's just my experience,
it might differ from other parts of germany.

Cheers,
Max