Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
spencerone@???:
>> sajolida:
>> I'm not considering releasing any code that hasn't gone through
>> serious user testing, either on paper or on real users, and with you
>> attending the testing sessions.
>
> Requiring Alan's presence, though always welcome, seems antithetical to
> having testing instructions[0].

I don't think so. I think that having designers and coders attend user
testing sessions is an irreplaceable eye-opening experience. Seeing
people interacting with your prototype is much stronger than having
results from test sessions compiled by others and pushed on you.

The thing is that, of course, designers and coders have to follow these
guidelines and limit themselves to observing without interfering with
the experience of the tester.

> However, jumping in at the bottom of
> this[1] message would help me get started.
>
> Also, in addition to being here to help visualize stuff, I can carry out
> field testing. I can also help add to and refine the UI Testing
> Guidelines document, maybe including something that can help validate
> tests and results.

Patches are welcome, as hackers say :)

>> the current proposal breaks some fundamental assumptions of the work
>> that was done at NUMA (displaying everything upfront)
>
> It does, but there is no need for assumptions. The current proposal[2]
> addresses all concerns/constraints and is the outcome of weighing the
> options logically.
>
>> so to me, we can't validate it only by discussing over email.
>
> I encourage you to rethink this position, since thought experiments can
> be useful tools and conserve resources.

Yes, but apparently here on the issues of displaying all options upfront
our thoughts disagree :)