Re: [Tails-ux] RFC: Phrasing for warning users when running …

Author: Juan Miguel Navarro Martínez
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] RFC: Phrasing for warning users when running in a non-free VM
On 2015-08-08 at 15:32, sajolida wrote:
> I guess that this message is targeted mainly at people running Windows
> and Mac (people on Linux probably already have free software) so is
> VirtualBox the only option free software option here? At least it's the
> only one we document on the website that runs outside of Linux (I
> think): https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/virtualization.

As far as Wikipedia Comparison of platform virtualization software[1] is
updated, VirtualBox, QEMU and Bochs are the only free(*) Type-2
Hypervisors for Windows. I hope I didn't miss any other.

For VirtualBox, (*)if you want extra functionality you will need the
propietary extension pack. As of 5.0, it supports both Hyper-V and KVM
paravirtualization interfaces which are assigned by default to Windows
and GNU/Linux guest OS respectively.
For QEMU, the releases shown on the download page are 2.2.1, 2.3.0 and
2.4.0-rc4[2] at the moment of this writting. Solutions for Windows are,
either to compile it with MinGW[3] or Cygwin[4], which most Windows
users are not used to, or the unofficial pre-compiled binaries[5][6][7].
As for Bochs[8], I never heard of it so I'm not sure how good it is.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtualization_software
[2] http://wiki.qemu.org/Download
[3] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/MinGW