[Tails-dev] RFC: Phrasing for warning users when running in …

Author: Austin English
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] RFC: Phrasing for warning users when running in a non-free VM
Howdy all,

I've attached a patch to issue 5315 [1] to warn users when running in
a non-free VM (VMWare/Oracle/etc.) I'd like to seek comments on the
actual text of the warning. My draft patch has:
"Both the host operating system and the virtualization software are
able to monitor what you are doing in Tails. Additionally, non-free
virtualization software cannot be independently audited or inspected
for defects."

For reference, free (speech) VM users will receive the same warning as
they do now, which is:
"Both the host operating system and the virtualization software are
able to monitor what you are doing in Tails."

[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5315

Thanks,
Austin