Re: [Tails-dev] RFC: Allow users to watch CSS protected DVDs…

Author: emmapeel
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] RFC: Allow users to watch CSS protected DVDs using libdvdcss
intrigeri:
> Hi,
>

>> Any comments or concerns about building a .deb from upstream source +
>> packaging / shipping libdvdcss?
>
> Thanks for this proposal!
>
> Technically, it seems that it would be totally doable, especially
> thanks to libdvd-pkg (now in Debian sid, contrib section).
>
> So that's a matter of policy. I think it's not more risky than some
> similar things we're already doing (firmware EULA, Windows
> camouflage), and it seems to be worth it given how it would improve
> things for some use cases.

I think access to culture is a very important right for people, and I
would be happy that Tails helps to make access to restricted/corporate
culture more easy, providing a framework to criticize it and create
their own.

Regarding the RIAA and that kind of people, let me quote the Pirates of
the Caribbean: 'Take while you can, never give back'