Re: [Tails-dev] TAILS build system with Vagrant 1.7.3

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] TAILS build system with Vagrant 1.7.3
On 07/16/2015 02:11 PM, Adam Burns wrote:
> On 07/15/2015 09:12 PM, anonym wrote:
>> On 07/13/2015 06:32 PM, Adam Burns wrote:

[...]
>> You say that the "Vagrant/VirtualBox shell provisioning of the base box"
>> fails, but the above error is clearly from the Tails build script, not
>> while running the provisioning scripts.
>
> Perhaps my wording was in error. What I was trying to say clumsily was
> the bash script vagrant/provision/assets/build-tails running on the
> VirtualBox base image tails-builder-20141201 reeled in by the 'rake
> build' command appears to bork with package dependency issues.

To be clear, I wasn't nitpicking, only trying to make sure that we talk
about the same things. :)

[...]
>> vagrant@tails-builder-20140709:~$ dpkg-query -l | egrep "hopenpgp-tools|keyringer|linux-image-3.16.0-4"
>> vagrant@tails-builder-20140709:~$

This is expected -- see intrigeri's answer. In addition to his question:
do you use an APT cacher or similar?

[...]
> Looking again at https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/vagrant/ to
> try to rebuild tails veewee base box from first principles:
>
>> After issuing the commands below, Veewee will download the boot ISO image, drive the debian-installer using preeseding and run postinstall.sh to take care of seting up the environment expected by Vagrant.
>>
>> ORIG_BOXNAME=tails-builder
>> DATE="$(date +%Y%m%d)"
>> BOXNAME="${ORIG_BOXNAME}-${DATE}"
>> sed -i "s/tails-builder-[0-9]\{8\}/${BOXNAME}/" vagrant/Vagrantfile
>> mkdir -p "${VEEWEE_SRC}"/definitions
>> cp -a vagrant/definitions/${ORIG_BOXNAME}" vagrant/definitions/${BOXNAME}"
>> veewee vbox build "${BOXNAME}"
>> vboxmanage controlvm "${BOXNAME}" acpipowerbutton
>>
> 'veewee vbox build' (in vagrant CWD) gives 404 error on
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.5.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-7.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> Looks like this ISO image has been removed from the Debian site.

Indeed. Try upgrading the url in
vagrant/definitions/tails-builder/definition.rb to:

http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/7.8.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-7.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Also update the md5 sum accordingly.

That said, I doubt this is relevant. If you like you could try using the
Debian Jessie-based build box referred to in the
feature/9262-build-on-jessie branch.

> Some notes on to verify and replicate the veewee base box :
>
> - VEEWEE_SRC does not appear to be defined anywhere in the devel branch.

Right, that is fixed in the feature/9262-build-on-jessie branch.

> - the VirtualBox host shell prompt date is out of sync with the veewee
> base box filename although likely only a cosmetic issue by static
> setting of VIRTUAL_MACHINE_HOSTNAME in vagrant/lib/tails_build_settings.rb

You are correct. There was an issue with the previous build box, so I
had to unpack it and change a line and then re-pack it. Any way, this
discrepancy is of no consequence.

> I'll look at this more closely when I can, but the core issue appears to
> be that the current veewee base box image does not satisfy build
> requirements for the current devel branch?
>
> I could be mistaken on this, so feedback/corrections are much
> appreciated. Has anyone successfully built tails using vagrant lately?

I built the 'devel' branch using vagrant last night.

Cheers!