Re: [Tails-dev] Please support VPN for Tails. Any workaround…

Author: Dr. Killswitch, D.V.M.
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please support VPN for Tails. Any workaround for now?

intrigeri,

OK, I get it, but understand on another level how absolutely maddening
this is.

Tor has been under fire for being 'government funded', it's gotten beyond
ugly, particularly for Andrea Shepherd. There has been some talk of a
blockchain based method for relays/exits to get paid for the traffic they
handle, but this is likely years away, if it happens at all, and that
doesn't do much to support the developers. I2P is smaller, weirder, and it
didn't make such appeals, now some needed stuff, like the C++ version of
the system, are finally getting attention.

The three credible adversary resistant computing systems - namely TAILS,
Whonix, and Qubes, are all in the "have contributors, need donors" mode of
operation. I don't see any signs of the free software/get paid providing
services model that other projects have successfully followed. What I do
see is stuff like Subgraph - slick branding, slick marketing, some
recognizable folks working on it, but nothing that can be downloaded and
used. Looks to me like they will take the best of the three actual
projects I mentioned above, whomever is funding it will make out like the
proverbial bandit, and you guys don't even get a thank you from that
process.

What you have said has been the universal response, and I think our
response is likely to be a "pick which project you want to donate to" on
the token sales page, which puts an end to any complaints about commercial
interests, while actually supporting valuable projects.

      -killswitch