Re: [Tails-dev] Please support VPN for Tails. Any workaround…

Author: BitingBird
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please support VPN for Tails. Any workaround for now?
tailsneedsvpn@???:
> Dear Tails Team!
>
> I would like to request something that was already reported two years ago,
> that is OpenVPN support for Tails (https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5858).

See https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/index.en.html#index21h2 and
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/vpn_support/

Those links should answer most of your questions.

> Also, I would like to be sure that I download trustworthy version of
> Tails.

See https://tails.boum.org/doc/get/trusting_tails_signing_key that gives
you safer ways to verify the iso you downloaded.

See https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/startup_options/bridge_mode

> I also wanted to double check it. Are there any additional dangers
> connected with using TOR after connecting to VPN? Can VPN provider mess
> with TOR nodes to make it easier to become deanonymised?

Yes.

> What are the main technical challenges you have with supporting VPN for
> Tails?

The children ticket of https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5858 explain
what should be done. Help is welcome, as we don't have time to work on that.

Cheers,

BitingBird