[Tails-dev] [Call for help] Having live-boot honor FSUUID=

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] [Call for help] Having live-boot honor FSUUID=
Hi,

a recurring problem that users are experiencing is that Tails insists
on loading from a device that's exposed as removable. But quite a few
potential boot devices that we (humans) think of as removable are
actually not exposed this way to the OS. We have a plan to fix that:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6397

Since a year, the only missing bit is to have live-boot honor FSUUID=
(that syslinux can pass on the kernel command-line, implemented in the
feature/6397-stop-relying-on-the-removable-bit branch in the main
Tails Git repo). The corresponding ticket is:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7475

Someone committed to work on this a year ago, but in the end he's
unlikely to have time for it, and 1. I can't reasonably add it to my
plate; 2. I'd like to deassign that ticket from me, ideally without
just giving up; so: anyone willing to give it a try?

I can help you get started, e.g. by pointing you to the relevant
live-boot repo, branch, mailing-list, and helping you find ways to
test the resulting code in the context of Tails.