Re: [Tails-project] ARM-based, tails-like project

Author: intrigeri
To: Reuben Abrams
CC: tails-project
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] ARM-based, tails-like project
Hi,

[please don't Cc me, I read the list.]

Reuben Abrams wrote (09 Jul 2015 23:49:05 GMT) :
>> On Jul 5, 2015, at 3:00 AM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>> Reuben Abrams wrote (05 Jul 2015 07:12:28 GMT) :
>>> The differences between the ARM and Intel/IBM architectures make an ARM port of tails
>>> nontrivial, but it wouldn’t be impossible. If I took the modifications (all of which
>>> are in tails’ git repo, yes?)
>> The modifications to... what?

> Debian GNU/Linux. If the hardened tool chain, software patches, and custom
> configuration files are what distinguish tails from other life Debian distributions,
> then I’m hoping that a suitably patched, recompiled ARM port of Debian would be
> a good beginning to an ARM port of tails. If I’m missing something, please let
> me know.

We're not using a hardened tool chain. We're actually not rebuilding
packages, and instead take most of them straight from Debian, as
you'll see when you build Tails.

So you don't need any special port of Debian for ARM, you can directly
try building Tails (following the build doc) on your target
architecture :)

>> I think you should read our design doc:
>> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/

> It was an impressive piece of work last year; it remains so. The build scripts are
> a challenge, but I’ll try them again & see how far I get this time.

>> Indeed, http://www.chrubix.org/ works.
>> While http://www.chribux.org doesn’t.

> That’s weird. Both URLs are accessible from my copy of Tor.

Here, chribux.org seems to exist neither in whois nor in the DNS.
Note that it's *chribux*, not *chrubix*.