Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installati…

Autore: u
To: tails-ux
Vecchi argomenti: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media
Hi,

coming back to this thread.

sajolida:
> flapflap:
>> > sajolida:

>> > as a translator, I find "Tails Device" difficult to translate to German
>> > because a "device" can be almost everything/is a broad term. Also, I
>> > think it's diffucult to grasp/imagine if the unprepared hears "Tails
>> > device".

I think that device translates quite well into german. We've found
"Speichermedium" or "Gerät" in the past.

> I listed the occurrences of "Tails device" and actually we're using it
> almost always to talk about USB sticks or SD cards. So if we agree on
> using "flash media" to describe "USB stick or SD card", then we should
> be able to replace "Tails device" by "Tails flash media" everywhere.

If you read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory you'll realize
the image on the right, stating that a "USB flash drive" contains "flash
memory". So "flash memory" itself does not seem to be the correct term
here, from a technical point of view.

Furthermore, I think that it'd not well understood by newbie users. Who
goes to a shop to buy "flash media"?

And also, as pointed out to me by somebody else, "a flash memory" or
"another flash memory" seems wrong, as one cannot count one, two or more
memories ;)

So, I am suggesting either to use:

* flash (memory) device
* removable (flash) device
* flash (memory) drive
* removable (flash) media

This question is strongly related to
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8866

I'll go for something that I think is correct for now, and depending on
the outcome of this discussion will correct the term later on.

Cheers
u.