Re: [Tails-dev] Release versioning

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Release versioning
hi,

sajolida wrote (22 Jun 2015 16:16:07 GMT) :
> Ok, so what's the next step here?

> - Shall someone sum up all this is in /contribute/release_schedule?

Yes. I've gone through this thread and a quick copy'n'paste summary is:

* always increment the first number with major Debian version
* also increment the first number whenever it make sense for Tails
only (user-visible changes)
* second number: even for bugfix releases, odd for major ones
* add an extra 3rd number for emergency releases

And regarding milestones ("M" means "milestone" here):

* 2.0 => Sustainability_M1
* 3.0 => Hardening_M1

Shout if this summary doesn't reflect the consensus that was found.

> - when shall we start applying this? 1.5 is the next major and is
> already an odd number so we're fine. What about starting with
> renaming 1.5.1 into 1.6?

Makes sense.

> This would mean
> - Updating the calendar
> - Tweaking Redmine

+ update release process doc, and possibly some internal documents.

> I'd say this can go in the release manager role, but other people
> can do it as well (starting with me).

I'll try to do that shortly after 1.4.1 is out, but no promise.