Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Alan
À: tails-ux
Sujet: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Hi,

> As always, feel free to share your thoughts.

Please find below my thought, hopefully explained. I tried to always
precise if I have a "strong preference" where I really thing it must be
like that, or a "little preference" where I don't mind that much if it
is otherwise.

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:27:37 -0700
spencerone@??? wrote:
> NEEDED DECISIONS:
>
> Structure Types[0]
> ---------------
> There are three different structures.
>
> • Step-by-step - Guided walkthrough
> • Show/Hide - Hidden off-screen or behind on-screen element
> • Openface - Full display
>
> [0] - Greeter.Decision.00.svg

I think that we already decided to have two different paths:

- the default path with quick access to the settings
- the walkthrough for newbies

For the default path: I think that "Step by Step" is not possible
because it takes too muck clicks and screens. I think that both
"Show/Hide" and "Openface" could work. I have a strong preference for
"Openface" as it gives quick access to the settings. I think that the
visual clutter can be lowered by a good hierarchy of the informations
(that we already heavily discussed) and by a good design (I love some
of your mockups!).

For the walkthrough: as you write, the "Step by step" is definitely the
best choice. I like the fact it is accessible from the 1st screen as on
your mockups. I doubt however that the link us better that a button, as
it may be less clear that is as an action.

> Start Tails Button Location[1]
> ------------------------------
> Should the location of the button be in either the top Greeter frame or
> the bottom of the Greeter canvas?
>
> • Top
> • Bottom
>
> [1] - Greeter.Decision.01.svg

I have a little preference for the top position as:

- it makes it more straightforward to launch Tails with the default
settings
- it is coherent with GNOME 3 dialogs

> Color Blocking[2]
> -----------------
> Should the canvas either split into cells to emphasize separate content
> or stand-alone as a single-celled canvas?
>
> • Blocked
> • Not Blocked
>
> [2] - Greeter.Decision.02.svg

I have a little preference for the "Not blocked" as it looks
more familiar to me and close the the GNOME 3 desktop, but I get the
pros of the "Blocked" proposal.

> Settings Labels[3]
> ------------------
> Should the settings sections be labeled with either two or three labels?
>
> • Two
> • Three
>
> [3] - Greeter.Decision.03.svg

I have a little preference for the "Three Settings Section Labels"
proposal as it looks more clear to me, and thus quicker to access the
right setting.

> Label Icons[4]
> ---------------------
> Should icons accompany either the section labels or the line item
> labels?
>
> • Section
> • Line Item
>
> [4] - Greeter.Decision.04.svg

I do like the "Section" labels. I like very much the big section icons
shown on "Icon, Text, & Info Buttons" and "List Item Buttons" in the
"Other Options [7]" proposal. They give quickly recognizable info, look
beautiful, and do not waste space as they only add horizontal content.

I do not understand with "Section" label icons are mutually exclusive
with the "Line Item" label icons. Both seem useful to me.

> Close Greeter[5]
> ---------------------
> Should the Greeter have the option to be closed?
>
> • Close
> • No Close
>
> [5] - Greeter.Decision.05.svg

I have a little preference for the "No Close" option. The only event
that this button can trigger to close the greeter would be a reboot
(and thus, displaying again the firmware and the syslinux menu). Even
though it would be technically possible, it may be confusing to the
user. If we put such a button, then it should perhaps be clearly
labeled as a "Restart" button.

> Display/Hide[6]
> ---------------------
> Should the Greeter use display/hide functionality to manage information?
>
> • Accordion
> • Drawer
>
> [6] - Greeter.Decision.06.svg

I do not think that the greeter should use a display/hide
functionality.

If it had, then the "Drawer" would look a little less confusing to me.

> Other Options[7]
> ---------------------
> Should we explore other Greeter options?
>
> • Icon Buttons
> • Icon & Text Buttons
> • Icon, Text, & Info Buttons
> • List Item Buttons
>
> [7] - Greeter.Decision.07.svg

I very much like the "List Item Buttons" look. I'm not sure how you
imagine it would work however. I see it as only visual addition to the
"Openface" proposal in choice [1], where each individual setting would
be clickable.

I have a strong opinion against the "Icon Buttons" and "Icon & Text
Buttons" proposals as they complicate the flow if the greeter while
having in my opinion few advantages oven the above.

> Once we decide on these things we can bust out a mockup that embodies
> the new decisions and we can hopefully move into each of the settings
> options, e.g., Keyboard Language, and so on.

I can't wait for this mockup and the polishing of each option!

Cheers