Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.4.1] feature/5623-Installe…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.4.1] feature/5623-Installer-should-refuse-empty-device
u:
> sajolida:
>> kurono:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> Could you please review the new iteration?
>>>
>>> Ticket: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5623
>>> Branch:
>>> https://git-tails.immerda.ch/kurono/liveusb-creator/commit/?h=feature/5623-Installer-should-refuse-empty-device&id=ce0f3ac974a7b9f6e18071f01731e1d7edab0678
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!
>>
>> Instead of:
>>
>> 'The destination device was not created using Tails Installer. You can
>> only upgrade a device created by Tails Installer. You need to install it
>> a new to start with, e.g. by choosing the \"Clone & Install\" action
>> instead.'
>>
>> What about:
>>
>> 'It is impossible to upgrade the destination device because it was not
>> created using Tails Installer. You should instead reinstall Tails on
>> this device using the \"Clone & Install\" action.'
>>
>> Which is shorted and avoids saying "Tails Installer" twice.
>
> I am currently implementing the "Install from ISO" option. Maybe we can
> make this sentence future compatible somehow? :))))

Right :)

If there is a simple way of detecting whether the code is running from
inside Tails or from outside Tails, then we could have:

inside Tails: 'It is impossible to upgrade the destination device
because it was not created using Tails Installer. You should instead
reinstall Tails on this device using the \"Clone & Install\" action.'

outside Tails: 'It is impossible to upgrade the destination device
because it was not created using Tails Installer. You should instead
reinstall Tails on this device using the \"Install from ISO\" action.'

Otherwise maybe mentioning both (or none) would do:

both: 'It is impossible to upgrade the destination device because it was
not created using Tails Installer. You should instead reinstall Tails on
this device using either the \"Clone & Install\" or the \"Install from
ISO\" action.'

none: 'It is impossible to upgrade the destination device because it was
not created using Tails Installer. You should instead reinstall Tails on
this device.'

I anyway think that the future is to get rid of this screen and this
error message:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/installer#index2h2

But yes, what u mentions will arrive earlier.

--
sajolida