Re: [Tails-ux] Encrypted Persistent Storage

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Encrypted Persistent Storage
spencerone@???:
>> Sajolida:
>>> Spencer:
>>> My question should have read:
>>>
>>> After reviewing Tails 1.4, the current blueprint, and the most recent UI
>>> screens, the unlock persistence process seems to be:
>>>
>>> 1) Enter passphrase
>>> 2) Start Tails
>>>

>> Yes, 2) being "Click 'Start' button" on the blueprint (we're not
>> actually 'starting Tails' if the password is wrong), see the note in the
>> "flow" section: "The buttons at the bottom unlock the persistence when
>> clicked. If the password is wrong then a warning appears and we don't
>> change screen".
>>

> Word.
>

>>> If this is the case, and we have no intention of changing it for 2.0,
>>> have we decided on any feedback other than, for example, what happens if
>>> people enter the wrong passphrase?
>>>

>> Not yet.
>>

> Word. A "Success!" indicator might be appropriate to assist with user
> confidence.

I'm definitely not against this is we find a proper way to display it
(in terms of interaction). Just to have some mockup to discuss upon, in
the one on the blueprint we might display a "Success" for one second
after "Start Tails" is clicked and before we start opening the desktop
environment.

>>> If this is not the intended unlock persistence flow, what is the
>>> intended flow?
>>
>> It's the one we have for the moment. I think that with the state of the
>> design that we have on the blueprint, it felt superfluous to have a
>> dedicated button to unlock persistence.
>
> I feel you. However, a click to power/unlock Persistence is equal to a
> click to enter a passphrase. The last thing I am trying to work out is
> if we can create a more harmonious relationship between the Persistence
> passphrase field and the 'Start Tails' button, possibly removing the
> need for either of these clicks.

Right, another possibility that might be worth investigating would be a
timeout to automatically check the passphrase after some time of
inactivity in the passphrase field. In case of failure we could silently
ignore it (not to annoy slow typers) and only display "wrong passphrase"
after clicking on "Start Tails".

--
sajolida