Re: [Tails-dev] Release versioning

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Release versioning
On 06/03/2015 12:26 PM, intrigeri wrote:
> anonym wrote (31 May 2015 22:20:13 GMT) :
>> * 2.0 => Tails_maintainability
>> * 3.0 => Tails_hardening
>> * 4.0 => Tails_jessie
>
> Yay, I like it!
>
> Note that strictly speaking, we don't need the "Tails_" prefix. Also,
> I would find it nice to clearly distinguish the "target versions" that
> will be 100% reached on a flag day, and by releasing a given Tails
> only (e.g. Tails/Jessie), from the ones that are more general
> milestones. So, that could become:
>
> * 2.0 => Milestone_Sustainability
> * 3.0 => Milestone_Hardening
> * 4.0 => Tails_Jessie
>
> Thoughts?

This makes sense but "Milestone_" feels like a redundant prefix in a
field called "Milestone". Do we really need a prefix at all?

Also, for the "general" milestones, I guess they be recurring ones. E.g.
the one that's currently called 3.0 is perhaps only an initial push for
such related things, but maybe there will be another one. Reusing
milestones seems like a bad idea, so perhaps they too can be versioned,
e.g.:

* 2.0 => Sustainability_1.0
* 3.0 => Hardening_1.0

Just throwing an idea out there. Not sure if I like it, even.

Cheers!