Re: [Tails-dev] OnionShare bug in Tails

Author: intrigeri
To: Micah Lee
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] OnionShare bug in Tails
Hi Micah,

Micah Lee wrote (15 May 2015 00:11:53 GMT) :
> OnionShare recently stopped working in Tails

Can you please be more specific wrt. what version of Tails worked for
you, and what version stopped working?

> Specifically, OnionShare is able to connect to the Tor control port, but
> when it tries to create a hidden service it now causes the entire tor
> process to crash, and it looks like this is related to Tor sandbox
> warnings. You can look at the issue on github to see the full tor logs,
> but basically there are a handful of "sandbox_intern_string(): Bug: No
> interned sandbox parameter found for /var/lib/tor/tmpBuBZmk" errors
> (/var/lib/tor/tmpBuBZmk being the hidden service dir), ending with a
> crash: "(Sandbox) Caught a bad syscall attempt (syscall open)".

Looks like a bug in Tor sandbox rather than anything Tails-specific
to me.

> While searching for how to solve this I've only found a small handful of
> closed tor bugs that were all resolved with patches to tor itself, like:

Indeed, all those bugs should be fixed in Tor 0.2.6.x.

> So I can find very little information about what's causing this or how
> to fix it. Anyone here know?

0. Make sure there are no AppArmor-related messages for Tor in `sudo
dmesg`. If there are, please report them to us.

1. Try without Tor sandboxing (configuring a bridge as documented via
Tails Greeter + Tor Launcher should be enough, since we disable the
sandbox when special Tor config is requested).

2. If #1 confirmed that the only problem is caused by Tor sandboxing,
report a bug on the Tor bug tracker: we don't maintain the Tor
sandbox in Tails :)