Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: clone

Author: Ok Google
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: clone
Hello, I was reading the introduction to this discussion that sajolida
previously alluded to in this thread...

> sajolida:

...and the following excerpt resonated: "we should consider that the user at
this
point has very little knowledge of what Tails is because she probably
never used it yet."

With this in mind, "copy" is going to be a much more prevalent computer term
that a user would be familiar with the first time they encounter Tails. In
any given day, a computer user is often copying a file, copying some text,
copying a link or any other number of scenarios.

The word "clone" on the other hand, is a term a much smaller subset of new
users might be familiar with in relation to their computer, those who might
have experience cloning a git repo, for example.

Perhaps we should assume the least amount of familiarity possible in this use
case and use the word "copy" to improve usability and reading comprehension
across as many users as possible. Also keeping in mind translation management
with Transifex across various languages as well and people using Google
Translate to auto-translate content they are browsing, cloning may be a term
that translates more closely to a genetic replication process in non-English
languages rather than a computing process of copying data from one form of
media to another.

Secondly, regardless of which term is used, it may be better to remain
impersonal with any subsequent text following the term and stick to the basic
use case. We cannot assume that one is copying from a friend, nor a coworker,
nor a colleague, or a fellow research, professor or student. Maybe it's
another use case and they are copying from no one. Perhaps it's better not to
assume beyond the basic process, that they are going to "Copy from Existing
Tails Media" - or something to that effect. This not only offers utility to
the new user, but one who is new to the process of copying as well - perhaps
someone who created an ISO but didn't use the Tails Installer, and now they
want to make a copy for the first time so they can take advantage of updating
with each release as opposed to a complete download from scratch.

Unrelated side note: I hope it's ok to join in on this conversation - I'm new
and this is my first post on UX. Apologies that I'm not completely in the
loop or up to speed - I'll work to become more fluent with the blueprint doc
and other stuff as we go - assuming it's ok to contribute, here, that is. :)

Regards,
Ok Google