Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installati…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media
flapflap:
> sajolida:
>> spencerone@???:
>>>
>>> This makes sense. 'Desired Tails Device' could also be used at times to
>>> refer to the desired target medium.
>>
>> Cool.
>
> as a translator, I find "Tails Device" difficult to translate to German
> because a "device" can be almost everything/is a broad term. Also, I
> think it's diffucult to grasp/imagine if the unprepared hears "Tails
> device".
> For instance, I never heard someone talking about a "Windows device" -
> instead I more often hear "GNU/Linux Box", "Windows CD", "Knoppix Live
> USB Stick" and so on that more closely describe the physical item (the
> box/tower PC housing/server, CD, USB stick).
>
> For the translations, we occasionally referred to the "Tails device" as
> the "medium with your Tails installation", or the "Tails boot medium",
> or similar since it sounds more natural (in German and my opinion) than
> plain "Tails device" and we did not find better suited terms.

I find this kind of feedback very helpful. Thanks!

A friend of mine who's a German translator once told me that translating
into German was a good check to know whether what you're saying is
bullshit or not, as vague or ambiguous terms are harder to translate. I
don't know enough about German to verify that but it seems to be true in
the end :)

I listed the occurrences of "Tails device" and actually we're using it
almost always to talk about USB sticks or SD cards. So if we agree on
using "flash media" to describe "USB stick or SD card", then we should
be able to replace "Tails device" by "Tails flash media" everywhere.

Would that work in German?

Ah, and please don't hesitate to point out more problems like this in
our terminology, phrasing, etc. I find it weird that translators don't
complain more about the original text :)

--
sajolida