[Tails-dev] review and merge bugfix/9327-disable-starttls-wa…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] review and merge bugfix/9327-disable-starttls-warnings
Ticket: #9327 - Claws and Tor shouldn't warn on StartTLS connections to
        port 110 (POP3) and 143 (IMAP)
Branch: bugfix/9327-disable-starttls-warnings into testing

We've been carefully training our users to click through security
warnings relayed from Tor by Vidalia when connecting to their emails
server using StartTLS.

I understand the idea behind this option in Tor but I think that the
remedy in this case is worse than the cure as more and more email
providers are advertising StartTLS and preventing plaintext connections
anyway.

This is for example the only working configuration to connect to Riseup
and the option they document on their help page (though they're not
mentioning the warning).

https://help.riseup.net/en/email/clients/claws

I also think that this will reduce a bit the load on frontdesk after the
Claws Mail advisory is out. That's why I'm proposing this for 1.4.

Tested directly in Tails but I haven't built an ISO.

--
sajolida