Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Hi,

spencerone@??? wrote:
> The 'Text Language' icon should resolve the discoverability path, even
> if used more universally as the 'Language' icon. It appears to be quite
> clear and communicates the concept of "language" effectively. In
> addition to the icon, the text of the default language is displayed,
> this seems to be enough to do the job.

Good point, let's try that

> Maybe there are regional releases where we pick a few major languages,
> e.g., Chinese, English, Hindi, and Spanish, and set them to default.
> Though maybe this has been decided against.

Yes, we won't do that, it's too much release/test work. (that may be
reconsidered once releasing and testing will be more automated, which
we are working on, but let's not count on that yet.

> >> Maybe there is
> >> an auto-prompted walkthrough the first time Tails is run [if this
> >> isn't
> >> a security issue].
> >
> > This is being thought currently for other reasons I think, but no clear
> > conclusion have been reached yet as far as I know.
> >

> This seems appropriate. It could be for the entire walkthrough or just
> the 'Language' section.

Let's keep that in mind *but* make it possible not to have it on the
1st iteration(s).

> > However, why not
> > to ask first for a language if there is none saved in case we don't
> > find another satisfying solution.
> >

> We could just ask for a language preference, as opposed to running
> through the whole configuration flow, leaving the guided configuration
> experience as an always present link.

I think that's what we should do.

> This, too, could be a 'Settings'
> item, though one of much less value, as an auto detect for a language
> preference could be enough to keep the language request dialog from
> always showing up.

Let's not add too much settings items, as you say yourself it's of much
less value

> > What is an IA outline?
>
> Information architecture outline. It is a navigation tree, but with
> each element listed in addition to the location, and in the form of an
> outline. You may already call it by a different name.

Thanks!

> >> to effectively determine the impact
> >> of the first and third issues, with a mockup/flow study, or two, being
> >> needed to determine the impact of the second issue.
> >>
> > Would you like to convey such a study if we agree it's relevant?
>
> I would.

Great!

> > Do we agree that we should have the storage section together with the
> > language one as directly accessible to allow people to unlock their
> > storage straight away (it they have one).
>
> Yes, a directly editable 'Storage' section should be front and center.

Great!

> > Looks like quite good. I like the summary of your buttons in
> > GreeterMinimalFirstScreen.png. Perhaps the expandable section could
> > display such a summary when not expanded? Or the summary could just be
> > button that shows another screen
> >

> I will try and explore this.

Great!

> >> This[1] is what I am thinking. We keep the language settings fixed
> >> and
> >> directly editable.
> >>
> > OK. I think we could agree on GreeterAdvancedSettings (with the 2nd
> > option after the "or" being more coherent with GNOME desktop practices
> > I think) BUT the storage section should be always displayed IMHO and
> > not be included in advances settings.
>
> Okay. Let me make something and attempt to resolve some of the
> conflicting issues/resolutions we are discussing here.
>

> >> We could also do an initiation where people are invited to enter into
> >> more advanced experience with the setting up of the administration
> >> password/encryption, like activating 'Developer Options' on
> >> Android/Cyanogen.
> >>
> > I don't get this proposal.
> >

> When someone wants to edit the settings they are asked to set up an
> administrative password. This addresses the security issues associated
> with saving the more technical settings.

I don't think that we should do that as there is no such concept of an
administrative password in a live amnesic distro like Tails, unless a
user choose one, that would be only active for the session.

> > To summarize:
> >
> > - I do agree with proposal "GreeterAdvancesSettings" (if put "Storage"
> > settings outside the "+")
> > - we still have to precise how we edit each setting
> > - we still have to agree on a way to make language discoverable
> > - should we have a summary of advanced settings displayed upfront (at
> > least if some diverging from defaults are selected?)
> >

> I will make some stuff to explore this. Awesome!

Great! Can't wait to see that! When you send it, may you please share
the source files (preferably SVGs) so that I/we can edit them to add
graphical examples to our discussion?

Cheers