[Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.4] feature/8654-encode-apt-sui…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.4] feature/8654-encode-apt-suite-in-git
Hi,

so, I'm finally happy enough with my work on #8654 to request
a review'n'merge. What should be done is:

* merge the feature/8654-encode-apt-suite-in-git Git branch into
stable (because it should be kept ready for an emergency release,
and IMO the risks induced by merging this code are lower than the
confusion that would result from discrepancies between how our main
branches are built), devel and experimental; it's already merged
into feature/jessie;

* merge the homonym branch, in the puppet-tails repo, into the
master branch;

* nothing at all in the APT repository.

Note that I've already merged this into feature/jessie and adapted it
accordingly, so we can already benefit from the new stuff to have
topic branches based on feature/jessie, that introduce new or updated
custom Debian packages.

And then, I'll have to deal with the status change of the experimental
branch (with this branch merged, it's not a base branch anymore, so
its APT suite shall be emptied, and feature/experimental-8654 merged
into it so that config/APT_overlays and config/base_branch are
correctly filled).

For references to the design doc etc., see the "[RFC] Encoding in Git
the APT suites to use for building an ISO" email I sent ~last week.

I'm assigning this to anonym, but I'd like bertagaz to try and put the
big picture into his head to, and together they'll hopefully find some
of the flaws I've left in there. Now, I'm not dreaming: this is
a drastic change, it's hard to reason about all the possible
implications => there will be problems. We'll deal with them, and
it'll be much easier is this branch is merged sooner rather than later
in this release cycle.

While testing and evaluating this, you may want to compare
http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-experimental-8654/latest.iso.packages
and
http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_experimental/latest.iso.packages.
Their content should be identical as long as I keep
feature/experimental-8654 up-to-date.

Once ready to merge, it might be a good idea to coordinate, so that
I'm around to immediately deal with any serious problems (e.g. "OMG,
all Jenkins build fail!") and to take care of the experimental branch
revamp I've mentioned above.

And finally, I'll sent a "heads up!" email to this list, pointing all
contributors to whatever has changed and how it will affect
their workflow.