Re: [Tails-dev] AdBlock Plus in Tails' Tor Browser

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] AdBlock Plus in Tails' Tor Browser
intrigeri:
> sajolida wrote (01 Feb 2015 17:28:15 GMT) :
>> bertagaz wrote (01 Feb 2015 19:09:58 GMT) :
>>> On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 05:28:15PM +0000, sajolida wrote:
>>> To finish with, I'm personally not really thrilled about that debate
>>> anymore. I do with ads in Tor Browser outside of Tails, and I'm fine.
>>> But I would still keep AdBlock Plus as a political statement against
>>> surveillance of users and ads as the core business model of nowadays
>>> Internet. Fuck that shit! :)
>
>> +1 :)
>
> My gut feeling is the same.
>
> So, a little bit of introspection makes it clear that I was sticking
> to my original proposal mostly because I wasn't happy with how the
> decision making process went, in part because it resulted in me doing
> some actual work that'll be wasted time in the end, and in part
> because of the timing of the objections vs. the discussion that
> initially lead to what looked very much like a decision to me.
> I'm sorry about that.
>
> I'm also sorry I can't promise that the resulting bitterness I'm
> feeling will magically and rapidly disappear — I'll try though!
> Let's try to fix the root cause, that is to do better in terms of
> decision making next time such a controversial topic arises (e.g. *I*
> should have put it on the agenda of a monthly meeting to ensure it
> gets enough exposure, and others could have raised their objections
> a few months earlier, before I invest time into an implementation).

I think that we should all learn from this discussion (and definitely
not only you), and we should all be more careful when such hot topics
are at sake, the fast ones to take more time, and the slow ones to react
in a more timely manner.

> Now, I have to realize, thanks to all these sound and articulated
> arguments (thanks!), that the only practical reasons we have to remove
> AdBlock Plus are pretty weak, and that as a project we have one good
> political reason to keep it.

But those arguments took time to arise and were more complex than we
first thought. And we probably found them because we had the gut feeling
about the political reason behind it.

--
sajolida