[Tails-dev] [RFC] Encoding in Git the APT suites to use for …

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Encoding in Git the APT suites to use for building an ISO
Hi,

tl;dr: have a look at stable..feature/8654-encode-apt-suite-in-git, to
make sure what I have in mind doesn't feel crazy to you.

In particular, I'd love it if bertagaz and anonym had a good look at
it -- I guess they'll at the very least highlight some minor flaws...
and hopefully no major ones.

This is about https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8654, that I had to
postpone to the 1.4 milestone in order to keep some sanity last week.

The current rationale and various implementation notes can be found on
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/encode_APT_suite_in_Git/

The current design is slightly different from what's in the ticket.
It is described in contribute/APT_repository, in the
feature/8654-encode-apt-suite-in-git branch. In that branch, I've also
adjusted various affected pieces of contributor documentation.

Note that I probably won't wait for feedback before I start updating
the automated tests we have for this sub-system tomorrow, and perhaps
even before I start actually implementing the new design. I'll rush
this a bit, not only because I want to go on working on this while
I have the problem space in my mind (it takes quite some time to
context-switch to this topic), but also because I suspect that I'll
find flaws in the design more quickly this way. Still, I'm happy to
take feedback :)