Re: [Tails-dev] GUI for encrypted volumes from LUKS/TrueCryp…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] GUI for encrypted volumes from LUKS/TrueCrypt container files

intrigeri:
> Hi,
>
> sajolida wrote (10 Mar 2015 16:08:41 GMT) :
>> We had been trying to get rid of TrueCrypt for many reasons and for
>> years before we actually managed to do so in Tails 1.2.1. So I'm pretty
>> sure that we don't want to make it easier for people to go on
>> using it.
>
> I think you're mixing up "using the TrueCrypt software" and "using
> TrueCrypt volumes". Let's clarify.

I didn't miss that but I probably explained myself not clearly enough. I
think that our long-term objective is to have people move out of using
TrueCrypt technologies in general (be it the software, the volumes, or
the containers).

Our documentation was conceived as a migration path -- we provide people
with instructions to move their data from TrueCrypt to LUKS -- and not
as a way of going on using TrueCrypt encryption forever. That's why I
think that having a graphical interface to do that is counterproductive;
or at least we shouldn't put effort into it ourselves.

--
sajolida