Re: [Tails-dev] How to replace the green onion [was: What do…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] How to replace the green onion [was: What do we miss to replace Vidalia]
intrigeri:
> Alan wrote (06 Mar 2015 21:12:43 GMT) :
>> sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>>> I hereby propose to have the list of circuits accessible directly from
>>> the green onion as it is the case now in Vidalia. But I'm not sure how
>>> this fits with your architectural plans and related security implications.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what sajolida meant with "directly" in this
> sentence. If that's "clicking the onion icon directly starts Tor
> Monitor", or "clicking the onion icon opens a menu that proposes to
> start Tor Monitor", then I agree.

By "directly" I mostly wanted to express a general idea, not a precise
implementation. I want the list of circuits to be available by clicking
(somehow) on the green onion and not having to go through menus. That
could be, from quickest to manipulate to the longest:

1. Clicking on the green onion opens a popup (like for Florence) with
the list of circuits. That would be the most integrated solution but
depends on the information in that popup to be dense enough. On your
current screenshot for example, I'm not sure we should keep built but
unused circuits. We might only list currently used circuits. I'm not
sure either whether the detail of the relay need to be that complete.

2. Clicking on the green onion opens Tor Monitor is a window.

3. Clicking on the green onion opens a menu, and clicking on an item
from that menu open Tor Monitor in a window. That's your solution if I
understand correctly. But I'm not sure to understand what the menu
brings, as "Tor is ready" is already the message provide by the onion
being green.

>>                              Top shell bar               Onion
>>                                     |                      |
>>                                     v                      v
>> [_Applications_Places______________________________________O_o_o_o_]
>>                                                    ________A_______
>>                                                   |Tor is ready    |
>>                                                   |Open Tor Monitor|
>>                                                   +----------------+

>> Disconnected: striked onion
> [...]
>> Bootstraping: onion with dots (as when network is connecting)
> [...]
>> Connected: full onion
>
> IMO that should be thought through as part of #7437, and I haven't the
> big picture and goals in mind (if the latter were defined at all yet),
> so I won't comment on this part yet.

Agreed. The big picture of #7437 hasn't been defined yet. Maybe at
RightsCon :)

Regarding the onion being monochrome to fit better in GNOME. Why not.
That's interesting too but needs to be put in perspective with #7437.
But I guess that changing the icon at some point in the future should be
easy.

--
sajolida