[Tails-dev] GUI for encrypted volumes from LUKS/TrueCrypt co…

Author: Jasper
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] GUI for encrypted volumes from LUKS/TrueCrypt container files
hello everyone,

I'm the developer of a little graphical application that helps with
creating and using LUKS and TrueCrypt container files called luckyLUKS.
It was brought to life to offer an equivalent to the Windows TrueCrypt
application for some friends that are not too keen on using the command
line. luckyLUKS follows a keep-it-simple philosophy that aims to keep
users from shooting themselves in the foot when typing commands with
administrative privileges. You can find more information and a little
screencast on the homepage: https://github.com/jas-per/luckyLUKS

Since you are in touch with users that have a need for this kind of
application, I'm interested in your feedback. Especially when it comes
to TrueCrypt specifics like hidden containers or keyfiles: I don't use
TrueCrypt containers myself, so I have not made these advanced options
available from the graphical interface yet. Doing so would not be too
difficult, please advice whats needed.

I'm also looking for a sponsor to get the application into Debian,
would be great if you could help finding a debian developer who might
be interested. I'd like to maintain the package myself so hopefully
there wont be too much work involved:
https://mentors.debian.net/package/luckyluks
Reviews welcome!

If you'd like to try the application in Tails, you can just install the
deb-file - all dependencies are satisfied in 1.3. Two things I noticed:
TrueCrypt containers wont get mounted automatically by udisks so you
have to enter a mountpoint yourself (under advanced settings) This is a
shortcoming of the udisks-daemon from wheezy, the issue is solved with
udisksd from udisks2. To get elevated privileges for handling the
encrypted containers the application uses sudo and provides an option
to create a permanent no-password sudo rule. This didn't work in Tails
although similar sudo rules are already in place for other parts of
Tails. Didn't investigate this further, maybe something with the
overlay of user installed applications? Anyways, looking forward to
your feedback!

cheers,
jasper