[Tails-dev] Include Tribler in future packages

Author: Tony Mellor
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Include Tribler in future packages
Hi,

It seems to me that Tribler has the same end goal as Tails which is to
remain anonymous.

Allow me to outline how this might be achieved on the live CD/USB versions.

1. The downloaded/partially downloaded files would need to be stored on an
encrypted persistent volume.
2. Tribler stores all it's torrent and content information under the hidden
directory ~/.Tribler
3. This .Tribler folder can be a soft link to the persistent volume.
Therefore when the persistent volume is closed none of the data can be
accessed.
4. A small script could be written to check that the .Tribler data is
available and set up the soft link in amnesia and then launch the program.

Proof of concept:

I have already successfully tested the soft link idea on Ubuntu using two
identically named LUKS encrypted volumes (USB Drives).

1. After loading one of the volumes I started a download of a file.
2. I closed Tribler and unloaded the encrypted volume and removed the USB.
3. I loaded the second USB drive and started Tribler again.
4. I started the download of a different file to the first.
5. I closed Tribler and removed the encrypted volume and loaded the first
USB.
6. Started Tribler again and saw the first download file which continued as
normal.

Concept proved.

Problems:

Tribler did show the initial warning each time. This may have been due to
something I had done and needs verification. Even so, this is not really a
problem.

Problems installing Tribler into Tails:

1. There are a number of dependencies that needed to be installed.
2. The main road block is that Tribler depends on a later version of Python
than the one packaged with Tails.

Reasons for making it part of Tails.

As we all know everything we do on a system leave some kind of trace,
metadata, thumbnails, etc. Tails is the perfect solution because all this
trace data is lost when Tails is shut down.

People wishing to share information to a wider audience from countries with
an oppressive regime would have another tool at their disposal. (Although
seeding is not completely secure yet but they are working on it.)

I hope that you consider this proposal and can see that Tribler would make
a great addition to the Tails package.

If not can I ask that you package future Tails releases with the latest
version of Python so that mere mortals like myself can install Tribler
ourselves.

Regards,
Tony