Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Autore: Alan
To: tails-ux
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Hi,

I'm just answering to clarify a few misunderstanding, not to go on the
discussion as I think we need sajolida and tchou to have a look for
this.

spencerone@??? wrote:

> >> SpencerOne spencerone[at]openmailbox.org:
> >> This was considered. An example is in the working file found through
> >> the
> >> link shared above.
> >
> > I propose we go this way as it saves one click without any drawback I
> > can think of. I think this is important to be friendly to new users
> > that have not yet any configuration.
> >

> Okay. The visuals and these last comments were made with the
> understanding that we were keeping the split between a Basic and
> Advanced configuration flow, but that the Basic was a guided
> walkthrough. I am all for the hybrid configuration being the flow for
> all cases. One interface to rule them all :)

I thing there is still a misunderstanding here: I don't propose to
remove the "Guided configuration", also called assistant, which is
the path on the left in the "flow" chart in the blueprint.

What I called the "Basic" is the "1st screen" on the blueprint. I
understood that your proposal replaces this "1st screen".

What I call "Advanced" as the "Advanced configuration" in the
blueprint.

I understood that your proposal replaces the "1st screen"
and merges the "Advanced configuration" with it (tchou proposed a
similar change). I didn't understood that you proposed to get rid of
the "Guided configuration" which is our answer to the 1st time user
persona.

> > I think there is a misunderstanding here. Don't suggest to go back to
> > my split between Basic and Advanced settings but to have a popover as a
> > way to edit each option in your proposal (as a replacement of a common
> > edit button):
> >

> Definitely a misunderstanding, as addressed above. However, with the
> popover, can it be a whole screen pop-over, like iOS

Can you elaborate on what is the "whole screen pop-over, like iOS"? I
screenshot would be welcome. What do you see on it?

> >> 'Guided' is 'Basic', is it not?
> >
> > No. I was referring to the "Discover: guided configuration" flow at the
> > left of the diagram in the blueprint.
> >

> Yes, this has been clear. But since it isn't addressed in the blueprint
> other than existing as a button, it has been presumed that it would just
> be the same as the Basic Configuration flow but include detailed
> instruction text, which is why the visuals have been labeling this as
> Basic Configuration [Walkthrough].

It is addressed in the blueprint under "Guided configuration". It is
the left path on the flow.

> Maybe the suggestion to merge Basic
> and Advanced isn't what I have been imagining. To me the screens titled
> Introduction, Context, and Check & Go were part of the Basic
> Configuration flow, with the Advanced Configuration flow only having the
> one dialog screen. In the Basic Configuration flow these isolated
> screens are the same as the section in the Advanced Configuration flow
> screen but with more detailed instruction, as it walks newer users
> through the settings in a less technical manner, e.g., "Where will you
> be using Tails: Home, Cafe, etc.", vs allowing the more technical
> configuration like 'MAC Address Spoofing', and so on.

The point is indeed to walk the new user to choose the right settings,
but the idea was not necessarily to have one question per setting, but
rather to ask a few question to deduce reasonable settings from them.

With your proposal, I's see your proposed screen as a conclusion of
this flow to sum up the options choosed.

> Also, isn't there much more to 'Formats' than selecting a country? This
> would need some more dedicated space, that maybe can't be supported by a
> popover,

Why?

> making a whole screen pop-over for all 'Language' somewhat
> appropriate.
>
> > We decided to go in 3 phases, so that we make actual progress we can
> > deliver to user as soon as it becomes reality:
> >
> > - phase 1: redesign the greeter and implement "Basic" and "Advanced"
> > screen (which we might merge). We then have similar functionality
> > than the current greeter, but better presented.
> >
> > - phase 2: add an assistant to guide beginners ("Discover: guided
> > configuration")
> >
> > - phase 3: merge the persistence creation/configuration into the
> > greeter
> >

> Cool, but if #2 requires changes to #1,

We need to design #1 so that that adding #2 is already planned (it was
the "Discover" button in the 1st screen, that we wouldn't show in #1.

> and #3 requires changes to
> #2&#1, then it will be more effort and time overall.

Again, we need to plan #1 and #2 to already address the things we would
add when implementing #3.

> #3 might not be an
> issue, but given the possible miscommunication of Basic/Guided and
> Advanced configurations, it could become difficult. Though I am down
> for whatever schedule already in place.

I think that we try in Tails to have incremental plans. They showed to
be a much more efficient way to make big plans actually happen!

Cheers