Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Autore: Alan
To: tails-ux
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Hi,

spencerone@??? wrote:
> Attached is a visual exploration of what the Check & Go greeter screen
> could look like.

Thanks! Your proposals are much clearer to me with this drawing.

> In short, it attempts to consolidate as much of the existing flow
> fragmentation as possible. There is a more detailed explanation on the
> document itself.
>
> I hope it addresses the existing decisions as you intended, if not, we
> can figure it out together :)

At first view, it seems to me that even though it doesn't address all
the existing "decisions" (actually more directions or guidelines we
agreed on) it looks possible to refine your design to address most of
them. So I'm up for discussing it deeper. If feels a bit like going
back to another design iteration to me but if we find a way to address
tchou's and your concerns about the current proposed design then I
think it's worth it.

Tchou and sajolida, could you please comment spencerone's proposal ASAP?

Tchou, do you think it goes in the direction of addression the issues
you have identified with previous proposals?

Spencerone, is it possible th have an editable version of your mockups
so that I can propose modifications graphically?

Please find below some detailled comment on the things I think we
should modify/refine if we go that way:

- it looks great overall.
- having to click an edit button to make setting editable looks useless
and painful to me. Consider an user that starts Tails for the 1st
time. She gets the defaults settings, adn before editing anything,
she'll have to click an edit button. Why not to make the settings
editable straight form the summary screen, e.g. with a Popover [1]
as on my current proposal[2]? That doesn't prevent us from showing a
"Guided" button as on my current proposal[2]. If a setting is edited,
we could then show a "Save" button.
- I think that the Storage section should go above the Settings
section. An user that has an encrypted storage area indeed needs to
access this section at each boot.
- is there a good reason not to use icons as we have in current
proposal?
- we wanted to have direct access to the languages, thus the left
languages list in my current proposal [2]. Yours doesn't address that
currently. However, given the big number of languages we now support,
I'm not sure that this goal is still valid. It may very well be
better to have a dropdown (e.g. a Popover) with a search area.
- I don't understand the "Specify the files that will be stored in the
encrypted storage folder" part. Anyway please note that including the
Persistence creation in the greeter won't probably be part of the 1st
iteration of the revamp.

Cheers

[1]. https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/popovers.html.en
[2]. https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/650/greeter3.png