Re: [Tails-dev] Automated builds specification

Author: bertagaz
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Automated builds specification
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 08:46:17PM +0100, bertagaz wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 05:21:23PM +0100, anonym wrote:
> > On 11/01/15 20:07, Jurre van Bergen wrote:
> > > Developers should be able to trigger automatic builds for a branch
> > > whose build was dropped (eg. last commit too old) by pushing a dumb
> > > commit on a timestamp file in that branch.
> >
> > Can't we make builds trigger via signed email too? Polluting the Git
> > repo like that seems ugly to me.
>
> It surely isn't the best for the git history or commit point of view, but
> OTOH it express in git's semantic the fact that a branch is active for
> more people than Jenkins and the sender of the email. So for example the
> release manager can also easily get that info and add the branch on his
> radar.
>
> Signed email could be an optional feature, like nice to have, but maybe
> not a blocker to deploy the automated builds. It will surely be a bit more
> tricky and might delay things a bit.

While discussing last night about this interesting point you raised, we
thought of an easy and obvious fix to that history pollution.

In fact, that's even already implemented in the way we often work: after a
release, people working on a topic branch often merge stable or testing
back in it. So there *will* be new commits on their branches.

Does that sound better to you?

bert.