Re: [Tails-dev] What do we miss to replace Vidalia [was: Get…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] What do we miss to replace Vidalia [was: Getting rid of Vidalia]
sajolida wrote (18 Feb 2015 11:36:27 GMT) :
> Alan:
>> I was thinking about an application that an user would only launch from
>> the Applications menu/overview. I also thought about a button in the
>> "Tor is ready" notification. But not launching Tor Monitor
>> automatically means we *need* write access to the control port to list
>> open circuit/streams.

> I don't get that last sentence... Could you explain a bit more it maybe?
> Are you saying that starting Tor Monitor "automatically" or not makes a
> difference on the type of access (read-only or read-write) that we need
> to its control port?

If I spotted the misunderstanding correctly (see the other email I've
just sent), and if I guess correctly, it could be that: when simply
reading from the control port, Tor Monitor gets notifications about
whatever streams and circuits Tor creates etc. But if Tor Monitor is
started after Tor has already opened streams and circuits, then it
needs to send a GETINFO (or whatever) command to get the list of
already existing circuits and streams.

Alan, did I guess it right?