Re: [Tails-dev] Resolving the DNS Round Robin limit for mirr…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Resolving the DNS Round Robin limit for mirrors
hi,

sajolida wrote (19 Jan 2015 18:49:28 GMT) :
> We already considered using mirrorbrain and it is already mentioned on
> our blueprint for a new mirror infrastructure:

> https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/HTTP_mirror_pool

I've added more info about mirrorbrain there. In a nutshell, there are
3rd-party Debian packages available, and it requires PostgreSQL.
I'd rather avoid having to maintain it in Debian, and asking
root@??? to deploy and maintain such a stack.

> Our current plan is to write a very minimal custom PHP script.

> The downside of mirrorbrain here is that it's quite big (probably too
> big for what we want to do) and it's not in Debian, not really
> authenticated, audited, etc.

> Still, if we want to further improve our custom script in the future,
> for example to include load balancing or geolocation, we might end up
> reinventing partly the wheel when more complex tools such as mirrorbrain
> already exist.

Yep. We'll need to carefully evaluate when it's time to switch to
something like mirrorbrain, whenever we have to add features to our
own custom script.