Re: [Tails-dev] Another update on cheap x86 tablets

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Another update on cheap x86 tablets
sajolida wrote (02 Feb 2015 20:51:02 GMT) :
> Peter N. Glaskowsky:
>> I bought one of these WinBook TW700 x86 Windows tablets:
>> http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black
>> <http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black> .

>> It's super cheap-- $65.98 delivered (or if you can get to a store,
>> open-box units are reportedly sold for $48 plus tax)-- and looks like
>> a decent potential platform for Tails. Among the usual features for
>> this class of device, it has a 7" 1280x800 LCD, an Intel BayTrail-T
>> Z3735G 1.33GHz processor, 1GB RAM and 16GB of flash, and a microSD
>> card slot that reportedly takes up to 64GB cards.

> 1GB won't be a lot of RAM for running Tails Jessie... But it should be
> enough for the basics.

>> I would be happy to buy one of these WinBook tablets for a Tails
>> developer who will commit to working out a way to boot Tails, even if
>> it still requires a keyboard or pointing device to get the OS
>> running. It shouldn't be too difficult, and of course they'd get to
>> keep the device after they publish the necessary instructions and
>> code. Booting from a USB stick would be fine; I suspect it would be
>> very difficult, maybe impossible, to boot from an SD card. I think if
>> people try out such a proof of concept, they'll recognize the value
>> of a supplementary computing device with intrinsically strong
>> security.

> I'm forwarding this to tails-dev, then :) Thanks for the offer.

Just to be clear, according to #6064#note-16, what seems to be
blocking is 32-bit UEFI support (#8471). I could be interested in
working on this, but no promise regarding a timeline. If anyone wants
to do it, I can give pointers about what I've thought of already.
And the syslinux community will surely help.