Re: [Tails-dev] AdBlock Plus in Tails' Tor Browser

Author: bertagaz
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-dev] AdBlock Plus in Tails' Tor Browser
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] AdBlock Plus in Tails' Tor Browser
Hi,

On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 05:28:15PM +0000, sajolida wrote:

> More interestingly, we also learned that it is surely possible to
> fingerprint Tor Browser depending on your host OS (say Windows, Mac,
> Linux, Tails, etc.). Apparently, the usual tests that we run can be
> defeated by other techniques (differences in the display of widgets
> between operating systems, Unicode tricks, etc.) and independently from
> ad blocking. David Fifield knows more about that stuff.

There is also a talk at DEFCON 17 from Gregory Fleischer (that we track on
ticket #6120) that contains interesting tricks to get informations on
TBB's users, even if most of them are not related to Tails (running on
windows,..).

I remember Mike talked about fingerprinting through font sets, which might
be workarounded by shipping fonts in the TBB package.

> To finish with, I'm personally not really thrilled about that debate
> anymore. I do with ads in Tor Browser outside of Tails, and I'm fine.
> But I would still keep AdBlock Plus as a political statement against
> surveillance of users and ads as the core business model of nowadays
> Internet. Fuck that shit! :)

+1 :)

bert.