Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: wording

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: wording
spencerone@???:
>>> Maybe this exists somewhere in discussions or documents, but what is the
>>> reasoning behind not having TAILS be a portable application, you know,
>>> like drag and drop installation? Because that might be the most
>>> suitable experience for everyone, presuming it is not a security
>>> vulnerability.
>>
>> We need to run straight from the hardware or otherwise we rely on the
>> host operating system to be trustworthy (and we shouldn't). This is for
>> example the case in virtual machines, you can run Tails in a virtual
>> machine but if your host operating system is buggy, then your Tails can
>> be monitored, hacked, etc.
>
> But doesn't drag and drop address this? I am thinking about TorBrowser,
> for example. Oh wait, I mean drag and drop so I can easily throw it on
> some external hardware, e.g., flash

I understand that you mean "drag and drop to install Tails onto that USB
stick". Then I'm pretty sure it is not technically possible to do the
same work as Tails Installer do from any operating system doing a drag
and drop. Or at least not before Tails Installer is ported outside of
Tails to Debian, Ubuntu, Windows, Mac OS X. The good news is that we
will work on porting Tails Installer to Debian in 2015. So that's a
first step.

> and run from that, not be able to
> throw it onto another computer, though I understand that is an inherent
> possibility with portable wares.

If you mean "run from that" *without restart the computer* and this
doesn't work with our security goals: Tails needs to be the only OS
running on the machine.

If you mean "run from that" *after restarting the computer* then you are
proposing a simpler interface to Tails Installer and we need to have it
ported to Debian and Ubuntu in the first place before being able to
consider this.

--
sajolida