Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: 1st screen and quick setup

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: 1st screen and quick setup
Hi,

sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
> spencerone@???:
> >> I implemented a first prototype. Please have a look at
> >> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7550#note-9
>
> Woh! Big up!

Thanks for your quick comments.

> > My next thoughts are about the use of the dotted line in the
> > depressed/active states of buttons. If the dotted line is an indicator
> > in addition to the inner drop shadow, such as in the active state of the
> > 'Basic' button in greeter1.png and the 'Advanced' button in
> > greeter2.png, then it would be beneficial to include it in every screen
> > in which buttons are depressed/active, such as the depressed/active
> > states of the 'Basic' and 'Keyboard' buttons in greeter3.png.
>
> I think that the dotted line in the first image is either a glitch or
> some temporary state because it doesn't happen on the second image.
> Again Alan probably reused the default behavior of GNOME buttons here.

I don't understand where do you see dotted lines? Could you clarify?

> Alan, I'm myself concerned about the width of this popup. Remember that
> some keyboard description has super long such as
>
> "Arabic (Morocco) - Berber (Morocco, Tifinagh alternative phonetic)"
>
> So we need to take this into consideration and probably have a much
> wider popup across the main window. Sorry for your nice alignment :)

In an upcoming refinement of these prototypes I'll add real values
to see the result, then we'll have a basis for discussion.

> > Though, if there is a
> > 'Search' field for one language list, such as in the widget that appears
> > during the active state of the 'Keyboard' button in greeter3.png, then
> > it seems logical to include it in the other, such as in the Language
> > selection of TAILS in both greeter1.png and greeter3.png.
>
> That makes sense, but on the other hand this would add an extra widget
> to the screen so maybe we can find something better.

I think it would be worth considerating. GNOME HIG reads: "If the list
is long, make it possible to search it using the standard search design pattern."

> > My last thought, without getting into the IA, is about the main
> > navigation of the greeter. With the addition of the 'Close' 'X', the
> > top right corner seems a bit crowded. I am not sure of a [re]solution
> > just yet, but, as we move forward with the broader IA structure, it
> > should come to the light.
>
> I think that we don't need the 'X' in the top right corner. Maybe it was
> tricky for Alan to implement a prototype without it but it should
> definitely be removed as it does make sense in the context of the Greeter.

Right.