[Tails-ux] Greeter: 1st screen and quick setup

Poista viesti

Vastaa
Lähettäjä: spencerone
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: tails-ux
Aihe: [Tails-ux] Greeter: 1st screen and quick setup
Alan,

On 01/23/2015 08:30, Alan wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> So we agreed to start implementing GTK3 mockups of at least those
>> sections while continuing the debate on the broader structure. We
>> think
>> that having the real widget to comment on will be really helpful for
>> polishing the minor details.
>>
> I implemented a first prototype. Please have a look at
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7550#note-9

Sweet!

My first thoughts are about the use of the color blue. If the color
blue is used to highlight selections, such as in the Language selection
of Arabic in greeter1.png, it clashes with its use as a hyperlink
indicator, such as in the highlight of 'more info', and its use as an
alternative path indicator, such as in the highlight of the 'Guided'
button, in all three greeter.pngs. Also, should we be using TAILS
purple here?

My next thoughts are about the use of the dotted line in the
depressed/active states of buttons. If the dotted line is an indicator
in addition to the inner drop shadow, such as in the active state of the
'Basic' button in greeter1.png and the 'Advanced' button in
greeter2.png, then it would be beneficial to include it in every screen
in which buttons are depressed/active, such as the depressed/active
states of the 'Basic' and 'Keyboard' buttons in greeter3.png.

My next thoughts are about the 'Search' field. In the Keyboard Language
widget that appears during the active state of the 'Keyboard' button,
there is a 'Search' field, though the scroll bar slider seems to
indicate only a couple of options are hidden below, negating the value
of the 'Search' field's presence. If this language list is truncated
for prototyping purposes, then ignore this. Though, if there is a
'Search' field for one language list, such as in the widget that appears
during the active state of the 'Keyboard' button in greeter3.png, then
it seems logical to include it in the other, such as in the Language
selection of TAILS in both greeter1.png and greeter3.png.

My next thoughts are about the use of trademark symbols. In
greeter2.png, regarding Windows™, Microsoft™, and Windows®, in addition
to the conflicting use of the symbols, they have no legal significance.
With the exception of Microsoft, which has no secondary meaning in our
society, they do, however, in the case of Windows, help to clarify to
people that we are referring to the OS and not an actual window.
Though, with the assisted text "Looks like Microsoft Windows", which
might intend to read "Look", not "Looks", I think enough context is
established to justify dropping the symbols all together.

My last thought, without getting into the IA, is about the main
navigation of the greeter. With the addition of the 'Close' 'X', the
top right corner seems a bit crowded. I am not sure of a [re]solution
just yet, but, as we move forward with the broader IA structure, it
should come to the light.

Super cool brother!

Wordlife,
SpencerOne