[Tails-dev] Useless packages? [Was: AdBlock Plus in Tails' T…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Useless packages? [Was: AdBlock Plus in Tails' Tor Browser]
Hi,

MrGorbachevteardownthiswall@??? wrote (15 Jan 2015 19:28:49 GMT) :
> If you want to start removing things, begin with files which have no business in this distro, like:

> libsoundtouch0
> libcheese-gtk21
> libcheese3 [and other related cheese packages]
> libwildmidi-config
> libwildmidi1:i386

> [...] and *many* other packages. Do we really need a package supporting playback of
> music from gaming hardware? MIDI software, too? Unless people are passing encrypted
> MIDI music I don't see how software like this is needed.

First of all, one of our design goals is to allow people to create and
edit various kinds of multimedia works. It can be argued that MIDI
support fits in.

Anyway, here's the info you need to understand what it would take to
remove these packages:

# aptitude why libsoundtouch0
i audacity Depends libsoundtouch0

# aptitude why libcheese-gtk21
i gnome-control-center Depends libcheese-gtk21 (>= 3.4.0)

  # aptitude why libcheese3
  i   gnome-control-center Depends libcheese3 (>= 3.0.1)

  # aptitude why libwildmidi1
  i   gnome-control-center      Depends libcheese3 (>= 3.0.1)
  i A libcheese3                Depends gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
  i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad Depends libwildmidi1 (>= 0.2.3)

etc.

=> What are you suggesting, exactly?