Re: [Tails-ux] Shared screen locking solution for live distr…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: sajolida
À: Klaus Knopper
CC: micah, info, tails-ux@boum.org >> Tails user experience & user interface design, info
Sujet: Re: [Tails-ux] Shared screen locking solution for live distributions in Debian
Klaus Knopper:
> Hello Sajolida,

Hi, thanks for answering.

> Actually, Knoppix disables/circumvents the standard Debian screen
> locking mechanism because there is no unlocking possible once the
> screenlock is active. All passwords are invalid and locked.

Understood.

> Also, screen locking makes only sense if there is the apparent
> possibility that someone else has physical access to the computer while
> the user is not paying attention. Why would I lock the screen if I'm the
> only one using the computer in a safe environment, and shut it down and
> remove the live medium when I'm done with my work.

As Micah Lee pointed out, you might not be alone in your office and
might need to leave your computer unattended for a couple of minutes.

> So, when is the right time to lock the screen? Debian does this by
> default when the computer goes to standby or the notebook lid is closed.
> In this case, the user will hardly pay attention to a dialog asking for
> a password.

Right, we shouldn't lock the screen in those cases until a screenlock
password is set. I've clarified this in our blueprint:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/screen_locker/#index3h1

>> For example, in GNOME, when doing Meta+L for the first time, the
>> user would be prompted to enter a screen locking password, then only
>> the screen would get locked. If she locks the screen again, the same
>> password would be reused.
>
> A "voluntary screenlock button", asking for a new screenlock (not
> necessarily a login) password could be worth a try.

I'm glad to know you're interested.

We would like to have the following means of activation:

  - Through the better power off button (#5322). That's a custom Tails
    applet but we could also use the default GNOME widgets in GNOME
    Shell where there's a lock action in the status menu).
  - Through the usual GNOME shortcut: Meta+L

--
sajolida